Into every life, that is. I have never feared dying. It's the getting old that is scary. when I was younger, it wasn't the aging/sickness/disease part of it. It was "I don't want to get wrinkly and ugly." Views change on that when you start getting close to 40.
I now do not fear aging... I view my octagenarians in my life as beautiful people. Those wrinkles and gray hair hold so many stories.
I have many beautiful old people in my life.
1) Grandpa Cecil. He is 88 and amazing. He has survived prostate cancer, World War II, his brother's death, and 2 weeks ago he came out of open-heart surgery and is healing nicely. He adores his wife of over 65 years and has dedicated the last 10 years to being her sole caregiver. Two months ago he decided he needed help and they moved into an Assisted Living Facility. Thankfully it was done before surgery was required. Today he was forced to make another decision... move his beloved into a nursing home. Her care was too great for the workers at the ALF. He will stay in his room until the end of the month where the caregivers can watch him, then he will move in with my parents.
2) Grandma Delight. I loved being with Grandma Dee. She taught me how to make rhubarb pie and chicken & rice. I loved getting a hug within her plump arms. She loved to sing. Old age has affected her body and mind. Her legs don't work and she's confined to a wheel chair. Helpers have to move her from seat to bed to toilet. Her mind is confused and she repeats herself often. Today her words were almost incoherent. As she left the ALF and went to the NH, she asked, "Cecil, where am I going? Are you going with me?" This separation could be as painful as during the War.
3) Grandpa Chauncy. He's only been my Grandpa for 15 years, same as 4) Grandma Lucile. They have so warmly welcomed me and our children into their family. I wish I knew more about them and hope to learn even more. Grandpa is 95 and Grandma is 88. I am so thankful that they are both healthy, relatively speaking. They still live in their home with a bit of help. I adore these two people. They have hearts for loving on people. I have never heard them say a negative thing about anyone. They are people you want to be like when you grow up.
So... I look at old people differently now. There are stories and lives lived in those wrinkles. Wisdom and advice in those gray hairs. As a lovely song says,
"Lord I want to be just like You, cuz they want to be just like me. I want to be a holy example..."
To my Grandparents, two of whom probably will never see this, I love you. Thank you. And if someone loves me half as much as I love you all, I'll be blessed.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment